Monday, May 2, 2011

Javelina Studying

Soon I will be going javelina hunting and since I have never been before Daddy says I must study about them. So today I got out my iPad and began my research. I really don't want to read about them because I would rather be outside playing with my brothers and practicing my hunting skills.  Does anyone know...should I bait them, or should I try to sneak up on them? If you have any suggestions I will take them because I really want to catch one on my first hunt. Oh well, I suppose I will have to do some research.

Here I am studying and learning about javelinas...love my iPad
Now I know I can catch a javelina because I have learned they have good hearing and sense of smell but have lousy eyesight. I can sneak as quiet as a mouse; I've had lots of practice sneaking up on the cat and eating his food before Mommy and Daddy even realize it. 

Javelinas are wild desert animals that resemble pigs, but they are not really even related to pigs.  I've decided though I am still going to call them pigs because according to me they look like really ugly, hairy and very stinky pigs.  They are tan to brownish in color with a reddish dorsal stripe. There is a band of grayish-white fur around the neck with heavy, bristly hair covers a thin, muscular body.  I am just a little worried though because I read they travel in herds of about 8 to 9 and they can be pretty mean.  I hear they don't have a sense of humor; perhaps it's because they eat mostly cactus...ouch!  Boy javelinas can weigh up to 60 pounds; so I definitely have an advantage over them.  However, a really scary fact is their canine teeth are longer than any other North American predator.  And I also learned that javelinas don't like dogs at all and will attack us if they encounter us; so because of these two last facts, I am going to quickly begin practicing my lasso skills.

Wow!  Look at those teeth!
Enough studying for today, I am going outside to play and hope I don't dream about javelinas tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Baxter watch out for thoose teeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Baxter and Parents,

    I write a divorce blog for The Huffington Post and I'm wondering if I would be able to get permission to use your Havalina photo (the one with big teeth) for my new article? I would give you a photo credit and link to your site.

    Thanks, Nancy Fagan

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy-fagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, my e-mail address is Nancy@TheDivorceHelpClinic.com

    ReplyDelete