Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 7 - Hiking for Javelinas

Today we agreed to go on a hike in the mountains to increase our odds of finding javelinas.  We packed up our gear and headed off.  We began by walking a dry creek bed and ran into many lizards; they are much larger than the ones in my yard.  I used my keen nose to sniff out the javelinas; apparently they are so smelly that you'll know when they are close even before seeing them.



We looked high and low for the aloof creatures.  And then finally, I caught of a whiff of a scent that I had never smelled before (it was really horrible) and I knew they must be close!  I started running as fast as I could, but I quickly realized I was on a leash.  Daddy tried to keep up with me, but the terrain was pretty rough so we had to run more slowly.  Finally, in the distance we saw them; there was a heard of about seven.  I got out my trusty lariet and was ready to nab one of them, but as soon as they saw us they started running in the opposite direction...boy are they ugly.  Fortunately for the javelinas, we were not able to catch up to them. 

Daddy promised we will keep trying though until we have to head back home.



No comments:

Post a Comment